Friday, September 13, 2013

The Flood 'O 2013

So the big question of today is Where Should I Start?  An excuse?  Nah.  You've read them all before.  Elianna's birthday party?  Nah.  I need the weekend to write that one.  So why not the rain?  Sounds good seeing as that's the "big" news here today, well yesterday.

The rain started Wednesday afternoon sometime, oh about the time I picked Elianna up from school.  Good timing.  The traffic coming home was a sure sign that people don't know how to drive in inclement weather.  Not rain, not snow, nor sleet will stop us from driving terribly.  Thankfully the rain wasn't too bad until I got almost home.  And then it was bad!  Like hard to see out the windshield bad.  Praise the Lord we made it home safely!  Later than usual - yes, but safe!

It rained all night and all Thursday.  Elianna stayed home from school due to many roads being closed and, of course, thoughts of terrible drivers once again.  At one point Thursday, the water was halfway up the wheels on our hammock.  About 30 minutes later, the wheels were under water.  Now I realize that our hammock wheels are not an entirely good rain gauge but you take what you can get.  Soon after that, our entire back yard was one big lake.  It was about 1-2 inches from totally spilling up onto our porch which would have resulted in it flooding into the house.  Thankfully the rain stopped (for awhile) before that actually happened.  







It's Thursday night and the rain has stopped.  However, it is supposed to rain again all day Friday.  Harley has a doctor's appointment scheduled (if it doesn't get canceled) but other than that, it will be a cooking / movie day.  The best kind sometimes!

To put all of our rain in perspective, I read on a friend's FaceBook page that "had this all been snow so far we would be shoveling about 100 inches (8 feet)!"  Wow!  Thankfully, it was just rain.

No comments: