Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

Today marks the beginning of Lent - the 40 days leading up to Easter Sunday.  Like Advent, I'd always thought of Lent as being a "Catholic" holiday.  The church we attend on Sunday evenings, follows the church calendar meaning they celebrate Lent.  They have a reading calendar each week and during Lent last year we read passages that strongly convicted my heart in how I viewed the season of Lent.  The Gospel Coalition had an article on February 11 ("Lent is About Jesus") and is offering a free devotional guide for the season of Lent.  

Complied by [Kendal] Haugh and [Will] Walker, Journey to the Cross is a free devotional guide for the season of Lent.  Each week focuses on a different theme (e.g., repentance, humility, suffering, lament, sacrifice, death), and each day follows a distinct pattern:  Call to Worship, Confession, Contemplation, and Closing Prayer.  "Lent is about Jesus," the authors contend, and with each element "our aim is to reflect meaningfully on His journey to the cross, so that we might take up our cross and follow Him."
Taken from TheGospelCoalition.org

I'm excited about going through this guide and having my heart challenged as I prepare for Easter.  Click on the links below to be taken to 1) the Gospel Coalition's article, "Lent is About Jesus" and 2) the free devotional guide Journey to the Cross.

1) "Lent is About Jesus"

2) Journey to the Cross


Picture from KaleoHouston.com

No comments: