Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent

Lately this word has come up and I'd never taken the time to really think about what it is or means. In my mind, it has always been associated as "a Catholic thing." So, tonight since my mind is restless and I can't sleep, I looked it up.

Advent means "coming" or "arrival." Advent is marked by a spirit of expectation, of anticipation, of preparation, of longing.

This really struck me. Advent started this past Sunday. Since then how much of a spirit of expectation, anticipation, of preparation, of longing have I had? I've anticipated vacation - certainly have had a longing for it, but for the celebration of the birth of Jesus?

This time of year is always so busy for us. We are busy with angel visits (teens dress up in angel costumes and go to homes and share the Christmas story from an "angel's" point of view), Christmas musical drama, living nativity as well as "regular" church activities all the while trying to keep up with housework, buy the remaining gifts and get ready for vacation. We prepare for so many other "good" things but we forget to prepare ourselves for the coming of our Messiah. But yet as we focus on the coming Messiah, we are reminded that without Christmas we would not have Easter. "It is only as we experience that full cycle, beginning with unbridled joy in Advent that slowly fades into the realization of what we have done with and to the Christ, that the awful reality of Good Friday can have its full impact." Praise God for the birth of the baby Jesus, but oh what joy that Easter took place. The time when that same baby, grown up as a man, took all of the wrath for our sins upon Himself giving us the wondorous freedom, that upon accepting His work on the cross for our sins, we may have eternal life with God in Heaven.

So I must recant my previous thinking of Advent being "a Catholic thing" since as Christians we should have such a spirit of anticipation every day. Anticipation for the birth of Jesus - yes. But also a spirit of anticipation, of longing - longing to be in the presence of God through Scripture reading and prayer. Interestingly, Advent is also a time of preparation marked by prayer. There are many daily prayers that can be read specifically for the time of Advent. Today's Advent prayer is this:

Almighty God, help us to look forward to the glory of the birth of Christ our Savior: His coming is proclaimed joyfully to the ends of the earth, for He lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

To Christ our Redeemer, who comes to save us from our sins, let us cry out with joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

5 comments:

Grape News said...

Interesting. I'd never thought about that word either. Thanks for doing the "leg-work" for me. I'll have to read it again when I can concentrate ("Mommy I wanna watch a movie")

HandyFamily said...

hi Lisa, I enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for the insight on advent. I always thought it would be interesting to know about. Just didn't have the time to figure it out! Wendi

momma said...

very interesting facts. i like your new background :)

momma said...

I just received a random facts tag and decided to tag 7 people. If you're interested in sharing 7 facts, please see my blog!

HandyFamily said...

Hi Lisa,
How many bows would you like? If you send me the ribbon (it has to be wired)I'll make them for you and send them back to you!
-Bethany