Monday, January 13, 2014

Arizona

After Chris got back from TX, one day later Mom, Elianna and I took off for Arizona. I guess you could consider this as Days 18-22 of our Advent Calendar.

I haven't seen Grandma Hubley, Uncle Tim and Aunt Paula in about 15 years which means they, obviously, have never met Elianna (or Chris for that matter). Facts are facts and my Grandma is going to be 92 - I really wanted Elianna to meet her.

Seeing as we live the next state over from Arizona, most everyone assumed we would be driving over there. However, with the cost of gas and hotel rooms and the fact that I found a super good deal on tickets, we flew. It was a short flight from CO to AZ and was so nice to arrive not overly exhausted from driving for hours.

Day #1



Elianna and Uncle Tim


Elianna got to open some gifts the first night we got there - a blanket ...

and a stuffie (her pillow and a blanket to use while we were there)!

Day #2 - "Christmas" Day








Driving in the "car" she made out of pillows and blankets. I'm not sure they have ever seen their house so destroyed!

No diva's allowed!

Day #3 - After Aunt Paula was finished with her dialysis, we headed into visit the cute little town of Wickenburg, AZ.


This is some tree that criminals used to get chained to as part of their punishment. When I first saw this walking by, I thought the man was real and wondered what was going on.

Aunt Paula told Elianna they were going to have a special cooking time together. They whispered and strategized looking at the recipe on the iPad. Elianna was so excited! They made the delicious pretzel and hershey kiss and M&M concoction (I have no idea if there is an official name)!



Day #4

We drove up the mountain to Yarnell AZ where the 19 Hot Shot Firefighters died in that terrible fire last summer. There is a small memorial across the way from where the fire actually was.



Uncle Tim also took me 4-wheelin' and let me tell you - there is nothing worse than driving to the most beautiful spot and realizing you didn't bring your phone camera with you. And then being even madder when you drive by a random cow in the desert (less than 200 ft away) and still not have said camera. Aah!

After we got back, Elianna wanted a ride so we took her around the neighborhood. When we got back she said, "That's it?!?" She would have ridden for much longer!

Elianna spent most of the days on Grandma's bed with her "ears" on watching TV

Day #5 - The day we left




Some beautiful scenery pictures that were taken over the course of the days we were there.






A rock someone (a long time ago) painted into a frog

This is how you decorate for Christmas in Arizona

No comments: