Wednesday, October 16, 2013

2013 Berean Convention

Picture from BFC Facebook

We spent Thursday thru Saturday of last week at the 2013 Berean Convention in Nebraska.  The convention technically went until Sunday afternoon but we left Saturday night so that Chris could preach at Haxtun Berean Sunday morning.

This was Chris and I's first Berean convention.  Convention was held at Marthana Bible Camp outside of North Platte NE.  We didn't leave as early as we had wanted to on Thursday morning plus we kinda sorta forgot about the hour time gain so all the "fun" things I had planned to stop at didn't happen.  And let me just clarify about the "fun" things I had planned... There is not much anything really truly "fun" to stop at in NE mainly because, well, there just isn't anything but fields.  I had found a bridge, a statue in the middle of a random neighborhood and then nothing until North Platte which is apparently a huge hub for trains.  The last one would actually be the only "fun" thing probably - not to mention loud.  Did I mention it was a 4+ hour drive?  This was our view for most of the trip.


Elianna hung out underneath her blanket for most of the trip

The convention itself was good - really good sessions and new people to meet. I'll give you a glimpse of our schedule for the day:  Eat, sit during session, eat, sit during session, eat, sit during session, eat, go to bed.  Put on repeat.  That's alot of sitting and eating and not alot of sleeping which was tough at times.  Elianna did fairly well but got a bit on the cranky side towards the end due to the lack of sleep.  The one exciting thing is that we got to meet a pastor from NE who is going to partner with us as we plant our church here.  We are still figuring out exactly what that all means but it has the potential to be a huge help to us.  Exciting times!

Elianna attended Kidz Kamp which we had built up big big big to her ("you'll get to do sooo much fun stuff!  Like crafts and play games and campy stuff!!") was not as campy and stellar as we had told her.  Since she was in the young kids group, they simply went to a nursery and played.  Now don't get me wrong, she had fun making new friends and playing but it just wasn't that gripping as we had made it out to be.

Due to my food-induced-lack-of-sleep coma I was in all weekend, I think I took 1 picture and that was of Elianna and her new friend, Lexi.  So, in usual Lisa form, I'm going to swipe some pictures from others that went (I guess swiping a couple of my Chris' photos aren't too bad though, right?  Right?  Please say yes!).

Picture from BFC Facebook

Picture from my Chris

Picture from J. Walker Facebook

Picture from BFC Facebook

Picture from K. Cheek Facebook

Picture from BFC Facebook


Can I just interrupt to say I'm super excited Elianna met Lexi.  I keep imagining them growing up and hanging out each convention - looking forward to each year seeing the other.  Maybe becoming pen pals.  I know it sounds super corny but I think that would be so cool!

Elianna and Lexi

As I mentioned earlier, we left Saturday night and traveled to Haxtun so Chris could preach at Haxtun Berean Sunday morning.  We stayed with a family from church Saturday night and ate dinner with them Sunday.  Haxtun may be small town but the people there are so nice and we enjoy going there.

Gary and Jeni's farm

No comments: