skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Recently I was able to go out to dinner with a girl from church who is getting married in September. She expressed an interest in getting together and learning about being a wife. Since I have all of (almost) 7 years experience, I offered my humble and honest expertise - the good and bad things I have learned. Honestly, I feel the least adequate to share with her about being a good and Godly wife. I fail all the time! However, I feel lead to do this for two reasons: 1) Titus 2 teaches us older women (ach! Did I just call myself older voluntarily?) to teach the younger and 2) It gives me an opportunity to learn along side of her with accountability.
Right now I am reading through "Created to Be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl. It is a good book overall but I disagree with her - strongly I might add - on some things. Most of my books are still packed away (with no sign of being unpacked until we move into our "permanent" house next year) so I don't even know if I have any already.
Here is the point in your blog reading life that you can participate. Do you have books that you would recommend on this topic? Your help and input would be greatly appreciated - that along with your prayers.
"Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that blessed awangment . . . "
5 comments:
Princess Bride! Ben hates that movie. I haven't seen that movie in FOREVER!
I would highly recommend "Love and Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. I really wished I had heard about it before or at the beginning of our marriage. It's a book you can real over and over and keep learning. I have it on CD because I listen while I work around the house or do projects, but I just found a hard copy at the thrift store this week! I bought it to share with others. To me, this book explains who we are as men/women -- how the Bible teaches us to interact as husband/wife. If we could only grasp a small part of this, we'd all be better off! (From experience, IT WORKS! I just wish I could stick with it! It even works if just one spouse follows the teachings outlined in the book; although I'm sure it works better if both spouses put forth an effort.)
*read* not real -- sorry
Yep - Princess Bride. LJ LOVES IT!!!!
Hi, Lisa! I think it's great that you are stepping out and ministering to this young lady. I'm gonna just guess, but I bet the Lord will be working more on you and your marriage than perhaps on hers. I love the accountability aspect and the friendship that this will build for you two.
Books about marriage? Absolutely! Try these:
-The Five Love Languages - by: Gary Chapman
-Sacred Marriage - by: Gary Thomas
-For Women Only - by: Shaunti Feldhahn (there's also a counterpart book called For Men Only)
-Love for a Lifetime - by: Dr. James Dobson
-although I haven't read this one but I know others who have and have recommended it AND the title just sounds so great! -Men are Like Waffles Women are Like Spaghetti - by: Bill and Pam Farrel
-for a wedding present, we usually get the newlyweds a couples devotional book entitled Night Light - by: Dr. James and Shirley Dobson
-I would also highly recommend anyone (even engaged couples) to go to the Family Life Weekend to Remember or any of the Family Life marriage Bible study books that couples can do together.
Happy Reading!
Kim
Post a Comment