Friday, October 21, 2011

Mepkin Abbey

We made a unique stop along the way in Moncks Corner, SC to the Mepkin Abbey which is a community of monks established in 1949 on the site of the historic Mepkin Plantation. While there we took a tour of the grounds, visited their "church", saw 1 monk, and walked for a few minutes around their gardens. I'm not sure what I thought it would be like, but it wasn't at all what I would have thought. It was quiet with not a lot going on. I guess I expected more of a Sound of Music-hiding-behind-tombstones excitement I suppose.










One of the monk's relatives (nephew I think), carved these scenes from trees that had fallen during a past hurricane.

Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus fleeing to Egypt


The crucifixion


And last but not least is the above picture Elianna asked me to take. It is of nature. Award winning I know.

No comments: