Elianna skipped school today! Elianna skipped school today! Yippee!! Today we went to cut down our Christmas tree so she skipped the whole 2-1/2 hours she "learns" (that's in quotes because some days I wonder).
There is a point in time when you can go to the Rocky Mountain National Park Ranger Station and pay $10 to come back at a later point in time to cut it down. There are a bunch of rules (height, circumference, etc) to cutting it down, but for $10? It is totally worth it! You also have to remember these are not groomed trees but trees that have just grown willy nilly in the wild.
So the story from the beginning goes as such. After our last family outing to Breckenridge and getting caught in a snow storm, I decided to be overly prepared since we were going into the mountains once again. I packed extra clothes, food, water, and blankets in preparation. I also placed Elianna and I's snow boots in front of the couch to take with us. You have probably guessed it by now, but I forgot our boots. So for all my preparedness (which, by the way, was not necessary because it was super nice out!), Elianna and I had to trek through the woods in our slippers.
After much looking around, we settled on a tree that looked good only at the top but we figured we could cut the bottom part off and viola! a beautiful Christmas tree. Granted it's a bit sparse in areas but, in general, it's a great tree! We also snagged a little baby tree for Elianna's room. Sshh! Don't tell!
You can't tell but the bottom was totally scraggly
We also found the bones of a dead animal (too decayed to really tell) and so, because we are weird this way, we brought home the jaw bone (teeth and all). Not really sure what we are going to do with it but as of right now, it's sitting on our front porch. Guess that's a warning for all those would be burglars out there - we don't mess around.
This is what is adorning our front porch


















No comments:
Post a Comment