Monday, January 2, 2012

Estes Park

Before my Chris begins working at Starbucks, we decided to take the week between Christmas and New Year's as our "vacation week." One of those days, we headed up into the mountains to Estes Park. Estes Park is beautiful! And snowy!


As normal, we have a story to tell... But before we get there, I have to tell you that Chris and I ate our very first Elk Burger. Oh yeah! Elk is a very lean meat which can end up a bit dry but it nonetheless has a great taste. Elianna had an Elk Hotdog. Just kidding! It was a plain 'ole hotdog which she enjoyed! We also walked around Estes Park city for a bit before we headed up into the mountain.



Once we got our map to the gigantic Rocky Mountain National Park, we headed up into the mountain. No problem that there are roads closed due to the amount of snow already up there. *Shiver!* Well... apparently we missed our correct turn and headed on a snowy path where we eventually got stuck! When I mean stuck, I mean we were unable to move my poor Nissan Sentra. I mean, the snow was packed so hard all around the car, we thought we were going to have to hike out of there. It "just happened" that a Jeep happened along our way that "just happened" to have a tow strap with them. "Just happened" = God intervening! The one good thing I got out of our time sitting there was a beautiful picture!


After getting unstuck, we drove to Bear Lake where we walked out onto the lake and then started to hike around the lake. We had to cut our time short because the wind gusts were up to 50mph and we just don't have that kind of winter gear yet. Here's to hoping we can find good sales on winter wear soon!


This was totally cool! The water rushed in under the ice and, if you look at the top of the picture, came out on the other side.


And if you don't enjoy beautiful scenery, skip to the bottom.


Although it was a blustery kind of cold day, we enjoyed our time together as a family!

No comments: